30.9.07

We're in Lamu!





We have arrived safely on Lamu Island just off the Kenyan coast and have been here for two days. We have spent our two days relaxing, playing in waves, enjoying seafood and getting sunburnt. (Not too much though, we have been applying sunscreen. The person(s) who this comment is address to shall remain nameless but let's just say they know who they are.) :)



This is the beach here. It has not been this sunny yet so not this blue. But oh so warm.

Our first day in Lamu did not get off to a good start. We started the day in Nairobi and made our way to the airport for our 11:00 flight which landed at 1:00. I was envisioning the day laying on the beach (even for a small amount of time) and exploring the town. Unfortunately none of this happened. We arrived at the airport only to be told that this airline was no longer flying to Lamu with the airline we had booked with because they had not been flying to Lamu for a week. When we asked why she said that the runway was in need of repair and for safety reasons they were no longer flying there. They did however book us on a 1:00 flight from another airport. We got a ride there and after a flight delay we were on our way.

We arrived OVER Lamu in about an hour and after circling three times and seeing the landing gear go up and down three times we figured we probably weren't landing. The pilot came on and told us that due to the weather we could not land and we would be heading for Malindi to refuel and then head back to Lamu. On our way to Malindi the pilot came on and said that we would not be landing in Malindi due to weather as well as the fact that they were out of fuel. OKAY! We were now headed for Mombassa. After an extremely bumpy landing we were in Mombassa for about an hour and then off to Lamu again but only if the weather was better, if it was not we would be headed back to Nairobi. Thankfully all was fine and we landed at about 6:30. After a very long day we were happy to find a great house! It has an absolutely amazing terrace that over looks the water! Ahhhhhh lamu.


One of the many very cool doors here. Although very nice they are quite difficult to open!

Okay I am seeing that I have an extra picture at the top but I cannot figure out how to delete it for the life of me and the window that I have opened here is in spanish. So I guess you have two pictures to double your viewing enjoyment!


Well I am just noticing that internet here is quite expensive so I should wrap this up. Happy Thanksgiving all! (Or is that next weekend?) Kylie

5 comments:

shareen said...

yay! I've been sitting at the computer for 10 minutes waiting for this to come up...how did I know, do you ask? I'm telepathetic (ha ha) or it was your email. Glad to hear you have a good supply of SPF, I wouldn't want to give you that speech again (did I just out myself? oh no!). :)

Mama Bear said...

that beach is AMAZING!!

Lowell & Julie said...

I'm slightly jealous.

Okay, I'm really jealous.

=)

Anonymous said...

Wish we were still with you guys! That beach is superb! Blessings on your traveling and adventures this week. Love and prayers,
Dad+Mom XXOO

Heidi said...

beautiful beach--looks a bit like Thailand. Have a good trip and a Happy Thanksgiving!