14.12.09

long live the moustache

well, we went ahead and bought a brand new family car. looking for efficiency over efficacy led us to this little intellectual vehicle.


actually, it is truly the property of our buddy jarrid. handover of the vehicle involved a trip to vancouver, chilliwack and on to kelowna. dont worry, we didnt buy a smartcar.
at island 22, the ice permeating the eroded sand created a sort of natural sub zero concrete. it was unnaturally strong.

that reminds me, it has been absolutely gorgeous here over the past 10 days. -2 and sunny and i have been biking 5 times. vedder is clear of snow, but there is a strange natural phenomenom going on that i cannot explain.

in some areas of the trail there is a crystalline ice structure just below the surface. on top all you see is the familiar packed dirt of your favourite trail, but if an object of significant weight rolls over it, the surface buckles and the underpinnings of the trail are revealed to be scintillating ice crystals arranged in organic rows. the dirt is all gone and only water remains, or perhaps some substance that is not apparent to the naked eye.

has a stream of runoff removed all the dirt from right under the trail, leaving only ice? that is my best guess. i wish i had a picture.

yesterday we had our friends masako and shandalin over for lunch, after which we ventured to island 22 to catch snowflakes. masako made us a wonderful japanese veggie and bacon and cheese dish and shandalin contributed some crispy christmas baking.


and finally a brief discussion of my moustache. i love it. i'm not going to shave it. i recognize that it looks a bit silly and i dont care. it was originally grown for movember, although i succeeded in raising very little awareness. it was then kept into december b/c it was so fun to aggravate kylie and the ER nurses. now things have changed. new emotions have arisen. i wake up in the morning and gaze at the splendour of my upper lip and think "what a great moustache!" as you can see in this picture i have started working on the side bars angling in towards the chin. i derive joy from watching it fill in.
the other day as i was heading out for a bike ride i put on my toque b/c it was cold, and donned my sunglasses b/c it was sunny. i got some funny looks when i stopped for a new allen wrench set and it wasnt until i glanced into a mirror and realized that the whole ensemble looked a bit thuggish. my Rage hoodie only added to the look, while the puffin on my toque added a note of whimsy.
i took off my sunglasses, but that is my only concession to current fashion. what a great look to be incognito in a small town.

LONG LIVE THE MOUSTACHE!

7 comments:

m+K said...

Die moustache Die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shareen said...

I just deleted my previous comment.

I don't think it was appropriate for such a public arena. I will tell you ON FRIDAY when I see you!

Oh, perhaps you could shave it tomorrow as a special present for Kylie?

Lowell & Julie said...

NO NO NOOOOOOOOOO! Let it DIE! DIE MOUSTACHE!

I don't think Mom will allow you into the house with that thing stuck to your face. And I'm still debating about whether I'll even let you in the CAR on Friday. :)

Anonymous said...

Why all the hate? I guess I've just lived in a small twon too long - I am a secret sucker for the redneck stash...
Alisha

m+K said...

thank you alisha!

your comment gives me the courage to go forward.
marc

Anonymous said...

Marc - that's a great stash! Stay strong.
Arie

AF said...

marc a moustache is a sign of pride, and as such it may be keeping you from God.

so say the amish.