14.4.07

A change is in the air!

There have been a few changes here in Kapsowar lately. The first change is that I actually baked a batch of bread that worked!! Kari (a nurse from the US) heard of my bread woes and said she would come and help me so this afternoon she came over and assisted in the baking of the bread. After discussing it with her I think that my first problem was that I was using water that was too hot to dissolve the yeast and secondly I was not kneading the bread for nearly enough time. Kari watched (and helped too!) me as I kneaded it for 10 minutes. Last time I attempted to make bread I kneaded it ten times in total. Whoops! I am glad to see the error of my ways though.
Punching the dough down
Kari getting in on the action (notice my sweat stain from all the kneading!)
The bread before it went in the oven, I made a dozen buns too!

The second change is that rainy season has started! On Thursday I was at the hospital teaching a piano lesson to one of the nurses and a blind chaplain (another post in itself) and all of a sudden it started POURING. I am not talking like pouring in Canada, I am talking like POURING!!!!!!!!!! (With not one but 10 exclamation marks.) I ran home in the rain (about a 5 minute run) and I was absolutely drenched when I got home. I wished that I had some shampoo and conditioner with me because I could have had a full shower.
The view from our back door when the rain was just starting, notice the already full bucket! Our friend here who has a rain gauge recorded 260mm of rain on Thursday night and then 280mm last night. Beat that Vancouver!
When I got home from my rain run. I was very cold too!

The rain is very interesting here though. It comes only at certain times. Most days it is fairly warm and sunny (25ish) and then at about 4:00 it starts to get a bit cloudier and by 5:30-6:00 it starts pouring (I will spare you the capitals here) and then it rains for about an hour or two and then stops. Chilliwack, you could take a lesson from Kenya. Raining a lot for one-two hours a day is much better than just raining all day long. I expect you to take notes and change your weather patterns by the time we get back.

Since the rain has come with a vengeance we have discovered that we have a leaky roof. Marc climbed up on the roof today to cover some of the holes with tar. Here he is framed nicely between the two banana trees in our front yard.
I got this great shot of him jumping off the roof through the kitchen window.

The last change and yes I am stretching here is that we will have to start watching a new TV show soon. We have been hooked on “Veronica Mars” since we came and are now finished the first season and do not have the second one here. For those of you who have never seen it, it is a teenage mystery show (yes sounds cheesy) but it is very clever and has characters with depth and is very entertaining. Think funny, think drama, think romance, it has it all! I think I may have to ask my mom to bring the second season when she comes in June because I am just not up to all this change right now. ;)

5 comments:

shareen said...

I found a website that has a huge bank of TV shows and movies so on someday if you have a good internet connection you can maybe check out season two or anything else you feel like.

www.tv-links.co.uk

Mama Bear said...

And i thought VANCOUVER got a lot of rain. That's craziness!
I remember once in australia, it rained like i had never seen it rain before. The town i was staying in became super flooded and part of the highway got washed out. Sometimes rain sucks...and yet, i can't help but love it :)

Sparks said...

So you've got buns in the oven eh.

Anonymous said...

Your house is so gosh darn cute - it looks like it came out of a picture book - glad you finally had success with the bread!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kylie!

I am a medical student and will be embarking on my electives next year (2008). I am interested in doing it at Kapsowar Hospital. Any ideas as to getting in touch with them?

Many thanks.

teng (medelectives@gmail.com)