5.9.06

Hiking, Hiking and More Hiking!

Warning, long rambly post to follow! Don't say you weren't warned.

Marc and I have spent a lot of time as of late doing a lot of hiking. Did you guess that from the title? :) Yesterday we hiked up Elk Mountain and then onto the ridge at Mount Thurston. I must say that it was not my best hiking day. I have a tendency to get grumpy when I am hiking/running/biking up big hills. Yesterday was no exception. The hike up to Elk Mountain is quite steep and it gradually gets steeper and steeper until you reach the top. Marc will attest to the fact that I was not a happy hiker yesterday. I did quite enjoy the view from the top and especially the red wine that Marc brought up in his backpack. Mmmmm....








Last week we also did a backcountry hiking trip. (See post below.) We went with our friend Jarrid from Edmonton and we had the whole lake to ourselves! It was my first back country camping experience and was great for a first trip. This hike was definately not as hard as the one we did yesterday.






We fed Niko the leftovers of our wildberry pies we made the night before. Mmmmm (For the pies, not for Niko's food!)



In other news, today was the first day of school. I am not teaching this year because Marc and I are hoping to go overseas in the new year. I also decided not to sub so I have another four months off. Today I am feeling a bit sad not to be starting school though. I miss my grade 5's and 6's! The following are my goals for the next four months: (Just to assure you that I will be doing SOMETHING!)
1. Read More
On the list: Quantum Reality (I am slowly making my way through this now and think maybe I am understanding it at the most elementary level but who knows I may be totally out to lunch!) The Alchemist, Mirror Mirror, Son of a Witch, Friends, Lovers and Chocolate (that is all one not three separate the commas are confusing I know!)and Freakonomics
2. Exercise More
I have been running more since I figured out how to breathe when I run. Marc and I have been running up Little Mountain and it is a perfect run for me. Not too much uphill and pretty flat after the first steep part and it is short, hence the name!
I also want to take a Pilates class.
3. Get the photo albums in order
I have not developed pictures in over a year and have not yet finished our honeymoon album and have started a Newfoundland scrapbook but not finished it either. Maybe if I admit this in public it will make me more likely to finish them. While on the topic of confessions, I also have not yet given our wedding party their pictures for their frames. AHHHHH, yes it has been five years, why can I not remember to do this. I must have a mental block.
4. Train Niko more

Guess what? Those of you who know me well should be able to figure out that the reason for this long,rambly post is that I'm procrastinating. The garage is full of bottles and I need to take them in. (Two years worth, plus all the bottles from two resident retreats!) I am not relishing the prospect of dirty smelly bottles stuffed into a hot car. Yeech!

9 comments:

Mama Bear said...

You guys find the best hiking spots! I think Niko's food looks yummy ;)

I need to get out hiking more. If only i had 36 hours in every day and not 24.

michaelia and jason said...

Hi Kylie, I'm not working at the moment (and may not be for a while, depending on how the wheels of bureacracy work). So don't feel alone. Maybe we can trade recipes since we will both becoming the perfect stay-at-home wife (most women in Korea stay home after they become married, so we are definetly not alone!) Looks like I need to start goal-setting so I don't waste my time cleaning my house! (Ha, that won't happen)

m+K said...

michaelia, kylie has a great chocolate cake recipe that you should try. oh, and your beach looks awesome! thats not what i picture when i think of long island.

also, kylie did not give herself enough credit. elk to thurston peak was steep, sure... and we hiked up and down in one day, but the hike to greendrop took us about 5 hours with breaks and it was quite technical with multiple rock fields to traverse or climb and she did it all with a heavy pack! i was really proud of her.
she was right about getting grumpy on the steeps though... wow!

Sparks said...

Are you two filling your canteen these days or what?

Katherine said...

Kylie, I love your rambly posts. I can't wait to read more of them on my "coffee breaks" See, I too am not working, but hopefully I'll start subbing soon once school gets underway. My strategy is to divide my day into chunks of time (I stole this from About a Boy) You see, if you divide the day into 1/2 hour periods then you can fill it much more efficiently. For example, I cleaned for two periods this morning, now I'm having a coffee break for one. Then I'll paint my kitchen chairs for one...and so on.
Try it and let me know how it works.

p.s. good work on climbing those mountains.

Anonymous said...

Kylie, I love how it took watching Niko run and breathe for you to figure out how one is supposed to breathe while running. I love sister-in-laws...
Julie
PS- give a little snuggle to my best nephew Niko for me!

Anonymous said...

Wow Kylie,you are becoming quite the hiker or should I say mountaineer(afterall there was some technical parts according to what Marc said) I'm proud of you!(I'm allowed to say nthat cause I'm your mom)
I think I need to try your friends idea about 1/2 hour period. Maybe I'll get more done.

Mom/Cherri

Sparks said...

I just noticed Niko eating colourful mushrooms off that log. Did he have a good time on the hike?

Jenessa Fowke said...

Two years of bottles wow....how much did that come to in cash?