28.7.07

Hikes, six degrees of separation and weddings!

My dad has arrived and we have spent a few days with him in Kapsowar before we head to Masai Mara tomorrow. Yesterday we did the ridge walk with one of the med students here (from Queens), his wife, their two friends from Tanzania (one Canadian and one Tanzanian), a medical student from Australia and our friend Risper from Kapsowar.
We did the ridge walk that we had done before with Josh and Kendrah and I was amazed at how much easier it was this time now that we have adjusted to the change in altitude.


Me with some coffee beans that Risper found for us along the trail. (She actually found the plants and took the beans.) She was our nature guide as we walked, constantly picking plants and telling us about their medicinal benefits or what the Kalingen people used the plants for.

We stopped at a church that was being constructed along the way and were given a tour by the chairman of the building committee. This is the office for the pastor and for some strange, unknown reason (to us at least) there is a ladder leading to a window. Marc of course took the opportunity to get in a little climbing. Doesn't he look angelic?
My dad cut his hand putting his backpack on (on a pen sticking out of the pocket of all things) and Risper worked her herbal magic (hee hee). We just happened to be stopped right by a healing plant when he cut his hand and she pulled off the leaf and squeezed the juice onto his hand. It actually sealed the cut and took the pain away but now he can't get the green plant dye off his hand.This is Marc and I with Dan and Catherine's friend Abram. (Visiting from Tanzania) We found out that he was roommates at Regent with our good friend Steve, met Marc's cousin Rob while he was in Nairobi and also knew Marc's cousin Stacey from Regent. It's truly a small world.
My dad also brought us the new Harry Potter from London. Notice how happy I am and I even let Marc read it first! What a nice wife I am.
Today we went for a hike into a jungle and I got a little dirty as you can see. I also MAY have decided that I should wipe my dirty hands (muddy from falling) off on the grass and MAY have accidentally wiped them in poop. Oops!
We stopped to watch a football game at the local children's home.
Some safari ants along the way.
Lastly, we are REALLY REALLY REALLY sad that we cannot make it to the wedding of these two today. Congratulations Lowell and Julie we love you lots and lots and wish you a wonderful day! Even though we can't be there physically we are thinking of you two today!!!!!!

5 comments:

diana said...

Your pictures always amaze me. Looks like such a beautiful country. How long are you there for? Looks like there's so much to explore! When I went back to Canada I sat beside a couple of girls who were working at an orphanage in Kenya. Small world. They were from Bow Island... where I did my PS I. Smaller world. I staid at the home of this girls best friend during my PSI. Smallest world ever. But, they were only about 8 when I was there. Boy did I feel old. They said they sort of new Christy Ney, but she was a bit older than them. Ouch. x

Karyn Clemens said...

So, Kylie, you don't know me, but I'm a friend of Julie & Lowell's and my husband was one of the photographers(Duane). Just wanted to let you know that I almost died on Saturday during your lovely...uummm...dance number/striptease(???) at the wedding. LOL There were many tears shed, happy ones of course, and many aching sides. Holy crap was it funny!! I think there were even a few men in the crowd who blushed! ;)
Good job. It was nice to "see you there" since we've heard so much about you guys! Duane also said that their photo session was hysterical, and the life-sized cutouts of you and Mark really helped break the ice!

Karyn Clemens said...

Oops..sorry Marc, I spelled your name wrong! :P

By the way, I love your blog...what a great adventure you two are on, and what a blessing you are to the lovely people in Kapsowar!

God bless,
Karyn

Katherine said...

Hi Marc and Kylie,
I haven't commented in awhile but don't worry, I'm still here even though I suck at keeping up my own blog.
Kylie, you make me laugh. I can't believe you rubbed your hands in poop. That sounds like something I would do.

I miss you guys. Keep telling us great stories!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marc and Kylie! Good to see what you're up to these days. I was so sorry not to see you at Julie's wedding, but you were well represented by your cardboard stand-ins. Kylie, I laughed so hard at your music video that I was in tears!

Love and hugs,
Laura