17.5.06

Humourfying and Blogging

Two thoughts on my mind tonight. (Is it hard for those of you reading to tell if it is Marc or I writing - does the lack of capital letters give Marc away? AHHHHH I'm using brackets again.) Anyways two completely random thoughts that Marc and I were talking about when he phoned me tonight from the hospital.

1. Blogging is sure a great way to keep in touch! We were just talking about how much more involved and in touch with people's lives we feel when we regularly read their blog. This past Christmas we went out for coffee with Stephen and Amber and Jason and Michaelia (see their blogs on the side, I don't yet know how to do the linky thing) and Amber, Michaelia and I were discussing how when we come home for Christmas everyone asks what we are doing now and sometimes it gets tiring to update everyone with the same information but yet we still ask others that same question because we genuinely want to know about them. But now that we have blogging friends we can keep in touch with day to day stuff and then have deeper conversations in the future. So really we are saving time in the future by blogging today. Wow what a concept! Next time Marc worries about how he could be spending his time doing other things (see last posts) he should really be thankful for the fact that he is banking future time.

2. On a second note Marc and I were talking about this very large sharp knife that his Aunt Cheryl gave us that is EXTREMELY sharp. Today I washed it and then carried it across the kitchen to dry it and Niko walked underneath me and I all of sudden worried that if I dropped it would the knife chop his head off? I asked Marc this in our phone conversation and Marc said it definately wouldn't chop his head off but it could chop his paw off. I immediately of course was horrified at the thought of chopping my puppies toe off but in some weird sick way I thought it was funny. It would be a funny story to tell that you had a three legged (or pawed) dog because you were carrying a knife across the kitchen and you dropped it on your puppies toe. I told Marc that there needs to be a word for something that is both humourous and terrifying at the same time, thus the title of this post - humourfying. I allow any of you who think my word explains a very hard to explain concept to use my new word at your leisure. :)



PS I intially had Marc's on call in brackets after "he phoned me tonight from the hospital." I typed it unconsciouly. I need to break the bracket habit!!!!! Am I a weirdo for thinking that my puppy getting his paw chopped off would be in any way funny???

7 comments:

michaelia and jason said...

Hi Kylie (and Marc)
Good to hear from you, I really like this blog entry...
1) (I like to use brackets as well)(I think it helps to capture what we speak like).
2)I do think these blogs are great because it does help to keep up to date and I find it really interesting while we all live all over the world.
3)I think that humorfying (humourfying) is a great word. Yesterday at work, I was "handing over" to the nursing staff working the day shift and I couldn't help smiling while I was talking about a patient of ours having no penis... I have trouble keeping a serious face sometimes when I tell something so awful that it is almost surreal and funny (in a warped way). Is there a word for horrible yet funny?
Michaelia

m+K said...

Maybe I should just embrace my use of brackets instead of trying to change it! Kylie

Mama Bear said...

maybe Niko should come and live with me for a while ;)

Stephen and Amber said...

I love the blog idea as well. It kind of keeps people relevant in your life that you may no talk to much if there was blog.

And on the other note, I have often considered getting a really good knifer but I cringe at the damage it could do, mostly to me and my fingers.

Anonymous said...

Hello Kylie,Marc,Niko,
I have a couple of nominations:
how about "dreadlaughable" or "terrifunny"
Love Dad (Greg)

m+K said...

My favourite is terryfunny! Kylie

Katherine said...

Kylie,
For the record this blog inspired me to crossover from blogreader to blogcreator. I figure that the world is moving at a very fast pace these days (sometimes even the floor moves) and I didn't want to be left behind.
(I hope you noticed my subtle yet poignant use of brackets in that last statement)
Are you coming to Lethbridge before July 17th? I hope so. That's when we move to Ontario. If you do come you should call us. Okee dokee!