11.2.07

A Chilliwack staple

To commemorate our last Sunday in Chilliwack I decided to pick up pie from the airport for Marc and I. From the airport you say . . . . yes the airport. It does sound a bit odd but the little cafe in the airport here (think extremely small airport, little cessnas) has amazing pie. In fact their pie is so famous some people fly in only for the pie. The airport slogan is "I fly for pie."
(Marc MAY be working tonight and I MAY have eaten my share (and maybe a little more than my share) before he got home but come on people, he's working the late shift and the pie had just come out of the oven!)

When Marc and I moved to Chilliwack we asked around about where to eat and almost everyone told us to get pie from the airport. We actually had pie on our first night in Chilliwack at the resident's BBQ. From then on the airport pie has been an important part of our time in Chilliwack. From resident BBQ's to Marc's surprise birthday party to date nights to our first anniversary in Chilliwack the airport pie has been a staple in our life here. It also prompted me to start making pie the first summer we were here (the fruit here is amazing too) and now I think I can say (without too much conceit) that I make a damn good pie. ;)

We have also introduced friends to the decadent Chilliwack pie. Our friend Jarrid even went so far as declaring that he would have a piece of pie every day of his BC vacation. I believe he managed every day but one. I made two pies, we had some airport pie and his friend baked a pie. When Jarrid was here in January he bought a whole pie from the airport and took it to his friends in Kelowna. (You can pick up a whole pie in a glass plate if you order 24 hours ahead of time.) Jarrid told Barb (the amazing baker of the pies) that he probably wouldn't be back with the glass plate for a year or more and she said that was fine as long as she could keep his $5 deposit!

My last airport pie for a long time was well worth the extra calories!!! mmmmmmm

And your Niko fix for the week. Hope you all had a great weekend!



P.S. Thank you for all the comments on my last post. A special thank you goes out to all you multiple section commenters. I did find a skirt yesterday so I think I will be good for now. Kevan - I have checked out your blog too, love your pictures and Alisha I'm glad you read our blog and I don't mind you commenting at all! Nancy, we will check out that market so thank you for the advice!

5 comments:

Mama Bear said...

Don't tell Rufus that Niko gets to sleep on the sofa.

word verification: bccbrk
sounds like " BC Bark"

Katherine said...

Kylie that pie is making me hungry. I must admit, my mother taught me how to make a pretty good apple pie and now I think I'll make one for tonight. Thanks Kylie!

Lowell & Julie said...

Mmmmm... I do indeed remember that pie.

Wow Kylie. You're just a regular posting queen! Tell Marcus to get his butt in gear. :)

m+K said...

get my butt in gear????
i cant get a post in edgewise!

Anonymous said...

How, I say, how can I not comment on this post. Yes, it is true I had pie everyday (but one) in BC when I visited in the late summer.

It's funny. Yesterday I found the page from the coffe shop that lists all the pies that you can order from when I was there a month ago. The Cran-Ap-Peach was wonderful. Next time I head out that way I'll be ordering my pie so that it is ready once I get there.

I suddenly have a strong craving for pie. Crap! What was the name of the place that the lady at the Chilliwack Airport said was in Edmonton?

I'll call soon,
Jarrid