9.2.07

Jelly Bellies, Skirts, Oprah and a Birthday!

Wow, what a title. That is an eclectic mix of information for a post. I always seem to post in spurts of information. I have been thinking about posting about jelly bellies and skirts for a couple of days (deep, I know) and then watching Oprah today gave me a lot more to say and a special someone is celebrating a birthday tomorrow so of course I have to mention that. PLUS this is an interactive post, what more could you ask for?

Just like the organized teacher that I am I will put headings on my sections.

Jelly Bellies
Yesterday Marc and I were walking Niko and I was wearing a coat I have not worn in a LONG time. I put my hand in the pocket and low and behold I found a package of jelly bellies. I have no idea where they came from or how old they were but Marc and I split the pack and it just left us wanting more. (I had 6.5 and Marc had 4.5, I'm not sure he knew I had more than him. :) I was the one doling them out!) We decided to go to Save On and buy a bag. Eating jelly bellies and buying them from Save On reminded us of our past experiences with jelly bellies and they are quite momentous. Let me share!

The first time Marc and I purchased jelly bellies from Save On we were in university and had just discovered these flavourful morsels of perfection and we found them in bulk! Well let's just say we went a little overboard and ended up spending over $20 on jelly bellies!!

Our second memory involving the jelly belly involves touring the factory. When we went on a road trip to California five years ago we stopped and had a tour of the factory. It was fascinating to hear about how the jelly bellies are made but the best part was all the jelly bellies we got to eat. We also bought two large bags of 'Belly Flops' which are jellybeans that are deformed in some way (think extra big ones!!!) and they are sold in large bag for $10 each. What a deal!

Here comes the interactive part. What's your favourite jelly belly flavour? Mine is pina coloda. mmmmmm

Here are some pictures of the JB factory. We don't have a scanner so I had to take a picture of a picture so the quality isn't that great.


Skirts
I am not really a skirt or dress person. I prefer dressy pants if I have to dress up (even though I am wearing a dress in the above pictures!) I have to get a couple of skirts before we go to Kenya and they need to be below the knee. I have been shopping a couple times but haven't been able to a skirt that is not too short or too long. Any suggestions people? Where can I find a mid length skirt?

Oprah
Did anyone catch Oprah today? I have not watched in a long time but I caught today's episode about child slavery in Ghana. It is estimated that 1 in 4 children in Ghana have been sold into slavery by their parents. It was heartbreaking to see video footage of these boys who work 14 hours a day and survive on as little as one meal. Their eyes are dead. It was extremely overwhelming and sad to watch and I wanted to turn the TV off. I forced myself to watch it because it is something that the world community needs to be aware of and also as we are going to Kenya and I know that the poverty and tragedy there will be distressing and I will not be able to turn it off. I am excited to go to Kenya but I am also aware that the heartbreak we encounter over there will be very difficult to deal with at times. Hopefully I will be able to stay positive and focus on the people we are able to help. I'm sure I will be writing a lot about this while we are over there.

Birthday Girl!
Okay let's end this post on a positive note. My lovely sister in law Shareen is leaving her early twenties behind tomorrow. There is some mourning I know but also a lot of excitement at what the late twenties will bring. Believe me Shareen, the late twenties are DA BOMB. ;) (You can say things like the da bomb and people just laugh at you like you are old trying to be young.) hee hee Hope you have a great day! We love you!!!!! :)



Okay people comment away. I will think EXTRA highly of you if you can comment on each section.

7 comments:

shareen said...

I will attempt to mimic your incredible levels of organization by organizing my comment with headings.

Jelly Bellies:
I love them too. The only thing I hate is when you think you're getting a great one (such as pina colada) and it ends up being something else - generally something much more disgusting - such as buttered popcorn. My favorite is either the peach or the pear flavour. And I never knew you went to the factory! That'd be a fun factory to tour.

Skirts:
Can you learn how to sew in the next few days? That'd be handy. :) Otherwise, stores like Dynamite, Garage, Chado, Smart Set etc. generally have skirts that are to MY knee (so slightly above your ankles?) and are a breezey, flowy fabric that I imagine would be good in the heat.

Oprah:
I haven't watched Oprah since Janet Jackson was on. Not that that episode turned me off Oprah, it's just the last one I caught.

Birthday Girl:
I'm looking forward to DA BOMB (and to hearing you say "DA BOMB" in person). It's going to be a low-key birthday...Noodle Box and relaxing. :)

~kevan~ said...

Alright - I have blog stalked long enough and this seems like an easy one to come out hiding with...

Jelly beans - do those weird tasting jelly bellies count? While not necessarily a fan of the taste I am a fan of the unpredictability. Although, I love all chewy candy and am a sucker for $.25 vending machines...

Skirts - got nothing to say except, never again! And you certainly would not want any advice that I could offer.

Oprah - last I heard Tom Cruise was jumping on her couch?

Birthday - Happy birthday Shareen!

Mama Bear said...

jelly bellies: yum!

skirts: smart set, dynamite, old navy, suzy shier, american apparel (not eagle)

oprah: haven't watched in a loooong time

birthday: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kylie
So - I'm with Shareen - you should learn to sew - it's really easy - go to fabric land - buy some pretty light fabric - cotton is best - then buy a pattern - one that says - easy is a good idea if you aren't much for sewing - find someone with a sewing machine - and either give it to them, bat your eyes a little and smile seductively, or simply sew the four seams yourself. I love sewing - everything fits when you make it yourself. As for the jelly bellies - my favourite are the ginger ones - although I can't ever seem to find them. Much jealous of your tour.... I can't comment to much about Oprah, but I will comment on Shareen and that is that she is probably one of the coolest people I know - and that you are very lucky to have her for a sister in law.

Alisha (I live with your in-laws now in the big beautiful Pete and Bette house - I met you once, but I enjoy reading your blog, so I hope you don't mind me commenting.)

megan said...

I am damaged forever since my students gave me Harry Potter ear-wax flavoured jelly beans. I need rehab.

~Nanc. said...

Ok... Jelly Bellies... I would have to say as weird as it sounds... I think I might like the buttered popcorn ones the best. I just think it's incredible how they can make something taste so much like something it is not. I think it's magic!

Skirts... what you need to do is stop stressing about skirts and don't even think of sewing... hop on that plane and fly to Nairobi... and then make someone take you to Toi market. It's right near Java house which I'm sure you'll become familiar with. There are tons and tons of used clothes that are great and cool and yet suitable for there. Infact just this morning I wore a skirt that I got from there and love!

I bought an O magazine to keep me occupied on my 2 ferry rides last night coming back from the Island where I got to stop in and say happy birthday in person to the lovely sales woman at oqoqo!

Sparks said...

Kylie, I do believe that sewing is a skill that could benefit many a human being. But it's totally not necessary, especially for something like a skirt. Why not just get a nice piece of fabric and wrap it around yourself a couple times? Then tie it up or whatever. This method of dress presents unlimited on-the-fly alterations and adjustments that fabricated clothing limitedly afords! Just think, one square of cloth could be anything from a skirt, toga/dress, to a hat/turban. I have not yet found a rule in Nairobi that states that a young western woman cannot wear a crudely twisted and off-center turban.